Laptop locked by West Mercia Police Ukash virus? Computer Screen is frozen because your computer is involved in law-violation activities online like illegally downloading mp3 or software? Read more here to get rid of this West Mercia Police Ukash ransomware infection as instructed step by step.
Table of Contents
- I. What is West Mercia Police Ukash Virus
- 2. How Did I Get Infected by West Mercia Police Ukash Virus?
- 3. Symptoms of Getting Infected by West Mercia Police Ukash Virus
- 4. How to Remove Mest Mercia Police Ukash Virus (Ransomware Removal Guide)
- > Option 1- Safe Mode with Command Prompt Restore
- > Option 2- Remove Ransomware using Anvi Rescue Disk
I. What is West Mercia Police Ukash virus?
West Mercia Police Ukash virus is a computer virus, categorized as ransomware which mainly attack Windows users in UK and other European countries. Once settled, this ransomware will lock up the entire system and instead display a fake alert supposed from West Mercia Police Ukash, attempting to trick innocent users into thinking that they get their computer blocked because of some safety reasons like illegally downloading some mp3 or softwaware and then need to pay a fine via Ukash voucher. This trick is making thousands of computer users fall into victim at an alarming rate. If you also encounter this, be alerted and never pay the fine to unlock your pc.
Below is a screenshot of West Mercia Police Ukash virus infection. Be aware.
Like many other ransomware infections such as NSA virus or PCeU virus, this ransomware to scam on the inexperienced users by trying to use the fake crafted notification. To make it scary and believable, the notification of ransomware even also displays the correct IP address and turns on the web cam. However, the truth is that everyone can get their excise IP address using free online services and meanwhile the web cam is often another trick.
Web cam control
To make the scam more scary, often ransomware would attempt to trick the user into thinking they are under surveillance by webcam, as it always shows a fake screen in “recording” status. Actually this even makes no difference on the infected computer with no web cam at all. Apparently, the truth is ready to jump out at your call.
Moreover, cyber criminals often often updated the design of this lock screen, however you should always keep in mind that the United Kingdom Police will never lock down your computer or monitor your online activities.
Other ransomware infections detected for your awareness:
FBI Moneypak virus, Department of Justice Moneypak virus, FBI CyberCrime Division virus, Your Computer Has Been Blocked virus, Relodit virus, ICE Cyber Crime Center Moneypak virus, United States Courts virus, FBI “System Failure” virus, International Cyber Security Protection Alliance virus, Spamhaus Moneypak virus, Joint Chiefs of Staff Moneypak virus, Moneygram virus, Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Section CCIPS virus, U.S. Department of Homeland Security Moneypak virus, FBI Cybercrime Division ICSPA virus, United States Cyber Security virus, FBI Department of Defense virus, Mandiant U.S.A. Cyber Security virus, International Police Association ( I.P.A ) virus, Ministry of Public Safety Canada virus (a.k.a. Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police virus), Royal Canadian Mounted Police virus, Ministry of Public Safety Canada virus, AFP Ukash virus, AMCA, ACC ransomware, Internet Police Department virus, PCeU virus, Cheschire Police Authority virus, Europol Interpol virus, United Kingdom Police virus, Serious (Serios) Organised Crime Agency virus,Guardians of the Peace of Ireland Garda virus, Centre for Critical Infrastructure Protection (CCIP) virus, New Zealand e-Crime lab virus, Arma dei Carabinieri virus, Polícia de Segurança Publica Portuguese Virus, NSA Internet Surveillance Program PRISM virus, Interpol Department of Cybercrime virus, FBI Anti-Piracy Warning Moneypak virus, Child Pornography computer blocked virus, PRISM Your Computer Has Been Locked virus, etc.
Ransomware like Interpol Department of Cybercrime virus can infect computer via multiple ways. Generally it can use Trojans to infiltrate some system with potential vulnerabilities and settle down. Also it can come in through some payloads, an infected attachment in a spam email. The another way is that it may be delivered via shared files that you may recklessly download to use.
- 1. Keep both system and installed software up to date.
- 2. Carefully surf online with security features of web browser turned on. See instructions to turn on security features of IE, Firefox and Chrome.
- 3. Be cautious to click a suspicious link or open a spam email.
- 4. The best way to stay on safe side could be always security programs like antivirus, firewall or antimalware. If your current antivirus didn’t help you defend against this Interpol virus or you just want more protection, you may freely and safely download this antimalware-Anvi Smart Defender (download:www.dotfab.com/download_asd.html)
III. Symptoms of Interpol Department of Cybercrime Virus
- Once infected, your PC system will be entirely blocked every time you start it.
- Then, there will be a lock screen that displays a message shown as in above picture.
- If you want to reboot the computer to safe mode for troubleshooting, in most cases you may fail because the safe mode running is also forbidden.
Most ransomware exploits Java or Flash vulnerabilities to load the malicious code. In some cases denying or disabling flash on your system may suspend some of the Child Pornography ransomware and enable the user to navigate through the infected system.
If this not a necessity for removal, skip to the removal options below these steps. To disable (deny) flash
2. Select the “Deny” radio option
3. Proceed to a removal option (detailed below).
V. How to Remove Interpol Department of Cybercrime Virus (Ransomware Removal Guide)
This tutorial suits the removal of Ukash, PaysafeCard, MoneyPak and CashU ransomware.
Generally there are two situations when your computer got infected with this ransomware. One is that you can still boot your computer to safe mode and the another one is not. According to this, there are two removal options for each situation for you to choose.
- Option 1- Safe Mode with Command Prompt Restore
- If your computer can still be booted into safe mode, and the system restore points are not deleted by the infection, you can choose this option for the ransomware removal.
- Option 2-Remove the Ransomware Using Anvi Rescue Disk
- This method is the final solution for deep infection that you computer system is totally blocked from even the safe mode running or all system restore points are deleted by the infection.
Removal Option 1-Safe Mode with Command Prompt Restore
Step 1> Launch your PC into Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
During the start, keep pressing F8 key till the Advanced Windows Options Menu shows up and then use the arrow key on the keyboard to highlight the Safe Mode with Command Prompt option and then press Enter. See detailed instructions on how to boot Windows to Safe Mode
Note: make sure you login your computer with administrative privileges. (login as admin)
Step 2> Type explorer to access
Once the Command Prompt window appears you only have few seconds to type “explorer” and hit Enter. If you fail to do so within 2-3 seconds, the ransomware virus will not allow you to type anymore.
Step >3 Once Windows Explorer shows up browse to:
- Win XP: C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and press Enter
- Win Vista/7/8: C:\windows\system32\rstrui.exe and press Enter
Step 4> Restore
Follow all steps to restore or recover your computer system to an earlier time and date (restore point), before infection.
Please note that chances are this virus may delete all of your stored restore points and then you may need to switch to option 2 to try the troubleshoot now.
Step 5> Scan bad leftovers and restart
Download, install, update and run the antimalware Anvi Smart Defender (direct download: www.dotfab.com/download_asd.html) to scan out and remove the bad leftovers in case it turns back. And then restart the computer to ensure the computer is all right.
BTW: after the virus removal, you are highly recommended to maintain/optimize your computer system using a tool like Cloud System Booster Cloud System Booster (download:www.dotfab.com/download_csb.html). It is a computer system cleaner/optimizer which can basically maintain your system performance. If you want a deep optimization, hard disk defragment would be a good idea. You may try the Anvi Ultimate Defrag (downoad:www.dotfab.com/download_aud.html) for efficiency defragment if the need arises.
Removal Option 2-Remove the Ransomware using Anvi Rescue Disk
In most cases of computer infected by ransomware, your PC would be totally blocked from any operation, including safe mode runing. Then, you can use the Anvi Rescue Disk to fix the issue together with the antimalware Anvi Smart Defender. Some patience and time is needed for this removal emthod. If any question in the process, please feel free to send your email below to our online Technical Support for timely help.
Below is a video of ransomware removal using Anvi Rescue Disk for your reference.
Step 1> Download the Anvi Rescue Disk iso image file
Download the Anvi Rescue Disk iso image file Rescue.iso and the USB disk production tool BootUsb.exe from Anvisoft official site. (Both are packaged in the file offered to download below.)
Direct download link: http://www.anvisoft.com/software/rsd/
Please kindly note that Rescue.iso is a large file to download; please be patient while it downloads.
Step 2> Record the Anvi Rescue Disk iso image to USB drive.
You can also record the iso image to a CD/DVD. We will introduce the steps to record iso image to a CD/DVD in following guide.
To record the Anvi Rescue Disk iso image to USB drive:
1. Firstly find a clean computer with correct internet connection and then connect your USB driver to the clean computer. You’d better backup your important data and format your USB drive before using it to record the iso image.
2. Locate your download folder and double-click on BootUsb.exe to start it. And then click “Choose File” button to browser into your download folder and select Rescue.iso file as your source file.
3. Select the path of USB drive, such as Drive H:
4. Click “Start Burning” to start the burn of USB Rescue Disk boot drive.
5.Please close BootUsb.exe tool after you successfully burn the file to the USB drive when you get the following message.
Now, you have bootable Anvi Rescue Disk to repair your computer.
You can also record Anvi Rescue Disk iso image to a DV/DVD. Any CD/DVD record software is fine for burn iso image. If you don’t have any, you can download and install Nero Burning ROM and ImgBurn. Here we will use Nero Burning ROM for demonstration purpose.
Please open and start Nero Burning ROM and select Burn Image from the drop-down menu of the Recorder.
1. Locate your download folder and select Rescue.iso file as your source file and then click Open button.
2. Click Burn button to start record the iso image. After a few minutes, you will have a bootable Anvi Rescue Disk to repair your computer.
Step 3> Configure your infected computer to boot from the USB drive/DV/DVD
Restart your infected computer and configure it to boot from USB drive/DV/DVD that recorded Anvi Rescue Disk.
Basically , you can use F8 to load USB boot menu.
For different motherboard, you may need to use the Delete or F2, F11 keys, to load the BIOS menu. Normally, the information on how to enter the BIOS menu is displayed on the screen at the start of the OS boot.
The keys F1, F8, F10, F12 might be used for some motherboards, as well as the following key combinations:
- • Ctrl+Esc
- • Ctrl+Ins
- • Ctrl+Alt
- • Ctrl+Alt+Esc
- • Ctrl+Alt+Enter
- • Ctrl+Alt+Del
- • Ctrl+Alt+Ins
- • Ctrl+Alt+S
If you can enter Boot Menu directly then simply select your CD/DVD-ROM as your 1st boot device.
If you can’t enter Boot Menu directly then simply use Delete key to enter BIOS menu. Select Boot from the main BIOS menu and then select Boot Device Priority. After that, set USB drive or CD/DVD-ROM as your 1st Boot Device. Save changes and exist BIOS menu.
Step> 4 Boot your computer from Anvi Rescue Disk.
After that let’s boot your computer from Anvi Rescue Disk.
1. Restart your computer. After restart, a message will appear on the screen: press any key to enter the menu. So, press Enter or any other key to load the Anvi Rescue Disk
2. please selected your preferred language and press Enter to continue.
Step> 5 Run the Anvi Rescue Disk to scan and repair.
1. Now you are in the mini Operating system, please double-click Rescue tool to start Anvi Rescue disk.
Important note: make sure that your computer is connected to network connection before you run a scan on your computer. If you fail to connect your computer to Internet, please check the tutorial on network configuration in this article: Network Troubleshooting Tips for Ransomware Removal Using Anvi Rescue Disk
2. Please run a full scan by clicking the “Scan Computer” button in the middle of the program to detect and kill the PC lockup virus.
3. Clicking “Fix Now” to Remove the detected threats detected by Anvi Rescue Disk.
4. Switch to Repair tab. Scan and fix the registry error with the “Repair” module of Anvi Rescue Disk.
Important Notice: You must repair the registry error after kill the virus. Otherwise, you would be disabled to boot your Windows without fixing registry damaged by the virus.
Step>6 Download Anvi Smart Defender antimalware to ensure a clean computer.
After the repair, your computer should be clean and resuced from the evil claw of the ransomware infection. However, many professionally crafted ransomware variants have evolved to be very persistant, that is to say, harder to remove, so you are highly recommended to download the antimalware Anvi Smart Defender by clicking Yes button on the prompted window to fulfill the download.
After the download, please restart your computer to normal Windows mode and then go to the folder: C:\Users\[username]\Downloads
Find the downloaded file asdsetup.exe and double click its file to install it and then start it to perform a full scan on your computer sytem, in order to ensure the computer is clean from any associated infections or leftovers.
After the scan, remove any detected infections and then you can have a clean computer now.
BTW: after the virus removal, you are highly recommended to maintain/optimize your computer system using a tool like Cloud System Booster Cloud System Booster (download:www.dotfab.com/download_csb.html). It is a computer system cleaner/optimizer which can basically maintain your system performance. If you want a deep optimization, hard disk defragment would be a good idea. You may try the Anvi Ultimate Defrag (downoad: www.dotfab.com/download_aud.html) for efficiency defragment if the need arises.