The homepage and new tab page have been taken over by digstar.com? You are constantly being redirected to digstar.com when you search the web? Want your installed web browser to work correctly again? This post offers a detailed instruction on how to get rid of this DigStar Search virus. Read on.
What Is DigStar Search?
DigStar Search is a search engine, a complete mimic of Google. On its official website, it is described as follow:
DigStar is a meta-search engine, a search tool that provide users the ability of simultaneously search multiple search engines under one interface. Meta-search engines benefit users by saving them time and effort from having to individually visit multiple search engines in order to find the desired results.
In fact, DigStar Search or digstar.com redirect is browser hijacker, for it modifies the homepage, new tab and default search engine of your installed web browser (Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome) to digstar.com without your knowledge and consent. So in that sense, it is also referred to as PUP (potentially unwanted program) in the industry.
DigStar Search is an ad-supported search engine, so it will display advertisements and sponsored links in your search results. What’s more, it has been noted that DigStar displays irrelevant search results, unwanted advertisements. You almost cannot find expected information in the search results of DigStar Search.
How Does DigStar Search Infect a Computer?
In most instances, digstar.com redirect virus enters your computer bundled with other free software, such as download-manager, video conversion program and media player. When you install such programs, you will also agree to set digstar.com as your homepage and default search engine if you are not careful enough.
Please be cautious and always opt for custom/advanced installation that you can deselect unwanted applications and settings. Be patient and read carefully during the installing process.
How to Remove DigStar Search Virus and Digstar.com Redirect?
Step 1 Uninstall DigStar Search related malicious programs through Control Panel
You should be aware that digstar.com redirect can be caused by the installation of different programs, so the program you are to uninstall may be in different name. You may need to uninstall all the unwanted and unknown third-party applications that installed around the time this redirect first occurred.
Windows 8: Move the mouse pointer to the right side corner → select Search → search for “control panel” to get Control Panel→ Click on Uninstall a Program → Locate any unwanted and unknown third-party applications → Click on Uninstall button to remove them one by one
Or, move the mouse pointer to bottom left corner → right click on → select Control Panel from the list → Click on Uninstall a Program → Locate any unwanted and unknown third-party applications → Click on Uninstall button to remove them one by one
Windows 7/Vista: Click on Start button → Select Control Panel → Click on Uninstall a Program / Programs and Features → Locate any unwanted and unknown third-party applications → Click on Uninstall button to remove them one by one
Windows XP: Click on Start button → Select Control Panel → Click on Add/Remove Programs → search for any unwanted and unknown third-party applications → Click on Remove button to remove them one by one
Step 2 Rid your installed web browser of Digstar.com redirect
In most cases, after uninstalling this application, the extension added would have been removed. In order to have your web browser work correctly again, you should go through the steps below to check and restore your browser settings.
For Internet Explorer Users:
1. To change homepage: click on the gear icon or Tools at the top right corner → select Internet options → hit General tab in the menu → replace http://www.digstar.com/ with a preferred domain like http://www.google.com/ or choose Use default
2. To remove extension: click on the gear icon or Tools → select Manage Add-ons → go to Toolbars and Extensions tab → right click on any suspicious toolbars and extensions → choose Disable in the drop-down menu → close the window and click on OK button
3. To reset search provider: Switch to Search Providers tab → right click a desired search provider → select Set as default → right click DigStar.com Search → select Remove → click Apply and OK to complete the setting
Alternative Solution: Reset IE to its default state
If you think the setting process is complicated or you can’t find the items mentioned above, you can follow this solution to reset IE to its default state.
1. Open Internet Explorer, click Tools at the top right corner, and then select Internet options.
2. Switch to Advanced tab in the window and click on the Reset button.
3. Check Delete personal settings and click Reset button in the new window.
4. After the reset finished, click Close button. Then restart Internet Explorer.
For Mozilla Firefox Users:
3. To reset default search engine: Click on the inverted triangle in the search bar → choose Manage Search Engines → locate DigStar.com Search → hit Remove and OK → click the inverted triangle again → select a preferred search provider as default search engine from the menu
Alternative Solution: Reset Firefox to its default state
This solution is easy to follow, but you will lose your customized settings.
1. Click on orange Firefox button on the upper left corner of the browser, and then move the mouse pointer to Help in the dropped-down menu and select Troubleshooting information in the sub-menu.
2. Click the Reset Firefox button in the Troubleshooting Information page and in the confirmation window that opens.
3. Firefox will close and be reset. When it’s done, a window will list the information that was imported.
For Google Chrome Users:
Click on Customize icon (Wrench or 3 bar icon) →select Settings
1. To reset startup page: hit Set pages → remove http://www.digstar.com/ by clicking the X at the end of the bar
2. To change homepage: hit Change →change homepage to google.com or any other webs you desire
3. To reset default search engine: click on Manage search engine → set Google as your default search engine → remove Conduit from the list
4. To remove extension: click Extensions above Settings → locate any suspicious extensions → click the Recycling Bin to remove it
Step 3 Repair you installed browser with Anvi Slim Toolbar
Also, you can download and install a tool to assist you to complete the repair of your browser. Anvi Slim Toolbar is such an application.
1. Download and install Anvi Slim Toolbar by clicking the link below.
Anvi Slim Toolbar download link: http://www.anvisoft.com/software/ast/
2. Delete unwanted and suspicious extension and add-ons:
Launch Anvi Slim Toolbar → Switch to Manage tab → Chech or tick unwanted and suspicious extension and add-ons → hit Remove button
3. Empty trash bin:
The removed toolbars and extensions are placed in the trash bin in case you want them back, so you need to empty the trash bin regularly.
Click on the trash bin icon, then you can restore or remove toolbars and extensions there.
4. Modify browser settings:
Go to Browser Repair tab → chose the browser you are going to repair → set the homepage to your preferred website → select a desired search engine → click on the Repair button
Step 4 Clean the invalid registry entries and residual files
After remove DigStar Search virus, some registry keys and junk files are still on your computer. This residual files may slow down the performance of your computer over time, so you should clean up your computer after uninstall application. Try Cloud System Booster.
1. Download and install the free or paid version of Cloud System Booster.
Cloud System Booster free download link: http://www.dotfab.com/download_csb.html
Cloud System Booster Purchase link: http://www.dotfab.com/csbupgrade.php
2. Launch Cloud System Booster and click on the Boost button.
3. Click on Clean button after scan finished.
Now, DigStar Search virus and digstar.com redirect should have been removed completely from your computer. If you have encounter any problem in removing this virus, please feel free to contact us.
Recommended—Turn on the security settings of your installed web browser
If you always encounter the problems such as pop-up ads and redirecting, you may need to check if the available security settings of your web browser are on. You can go to Turn on Security Features of Internet Browsers for Safer Surfing Online for detailed tutorials.