The strange homepage “http://search.conduit.com” and odd search engine “DivX Browser Bar Customized Web Search” leave you feeling quite annoyed? Unfortunately, you’ve had your PC infected by DivX Browser Bar Toolbar. In this article we’re going to take a look at this virus and what effect it can have your computer. Please follow the removal guide below.
What is DivX Brower Bar Toolbar
DivX Browser Bar Toolbar, or DivX Toolbar, is classified as browser hijacker that will tamper with your default browser settings without your knowledge. In normal case, this toobar installs on your PC bundled with DivX Player or other free software downloaded from websites, especially download.com, softonic.com, CNET, Brothersoft , software.informer, etc. Once being infected, your browser will appear such a hijacking that your homepage and search engine are changed to http://search.conduit.com and DivX Browser Bar Customized Web Search respectively. Apart from these symptoms, this infection will also add DivX Brower Bar Toolbar extensions to all your browsers.
A Hijacked Internet Explorer
Is DivX Browser Bar Toolbar just aimed at hijacking your browsers? Absolutely, the answer is no. Being infected by DivX Browser Bar Toolbar is equal to “agreeing” that it is available to access to your private information. Your browsing habits, terms queried on the internet, email and even your name and phone number are cannot escaped from being stolen. Then, you will suffer from a series of bad influences aroused by this infection.
Consequences posed by DivX Browser Bar Toolbar
- Firstly, there will be some ads and sponsored links corresponding to what you query in the search results. Although you regard them as annoyances, DivX Browser Bar Toolbar will try hard to collect your browsing habits to offer you more related ads and sponsored links. It is just like it is looking for what you like and then display you associated ads so as to mislead you to be the target of internet sales.
- Besides, you will receive a lot of inexplicable spam and junk mail, which always contain various ads and sponsored links that strive to convince you that you need them badly.
- More badly, you may get the calls from telemarketers to promote their products to you.
Preventing from Being Infected by DivX Browser Bar Toolbar
Due to this infection comes from binding, users should be attentive when downloading free software and always choose Customized Installation to install the software. When you meet the plugins, please click decline to avoid its installing. For DivX Browser Bar Toolbar, its installation is also alongside other several toolbar or malware: MyPC Backup, Search Protected by conduit and DivX Setup. These unwanted programs are also need to be removed.
How to Remove DivX Browser Bar Toolbar
Removal steps outline
- Step 1: Uninstall DivX Browser Bar Toolbar and other unknown programs installed recently from control panel
- Step 2: Repair Browser Damages ( IE, Firefor & Google Chrome )
- Step 3: Remove residual junk files and invalid registry entries from your PC using Cloud System Booster
- Step 4: Block spam ads, malicious websites including phishing websites automatically via Anvi Ad Blocker
Step 1: Uninstall DivX Browser Bar Toolbar and other unknown programs installed recently from control panel
Please note, DivX Browser Bar Toolbar is installed on your PC alongside different free software, toolbars and/or malware . So you are suggested to uninstall them: MyPC Backup, Search Protected by conduit and DivX Setup. By the way, you’d better consider the recent installed program tracing back to time of the http://search.conduit.com appearing.
Before uninstalling, please close all your browsers.
For Windows XP:
Click “Start“>”Control Panel“>”Add or Remove Programs“>”Programs and Features“>Look for DivX Browser Bar Toolbar, MyPC Backup, Search Protected by conduit and DivX Setup, select them and click Remove.
For Windows 7/Vista:
Click “Start” (“Windows Logo”)>”Control Panel“>”Uninstall a program“(under Program)>look for DivX Browser Bar Toolbar, MyPC Backup, Search Protected by conduit and DivX Setup, select them and click Uninstall/Change.
For Windows 8:
Right-click on the screen’s bottom-left corner> “Control Panel” >”Uninstall a program“(under Program)> Look for DivX Browser Bar Toolbar, MyPC Backup, Search Protected by conduit and DivX Setup, select them and click Uninstall/Change.
Step 2: Repair browser damages ( IE, Firefox & Google Chrome )
If you are Internet Explorer users:
1. Go to Tools> Internet Options> General, change the malicious domain http://search.conduit.com/ to the one you prefer, like http://www.msn.com/ and hit Apply and then click on OK.
3. Go to Tools> Internet Options> General, find the Tabs area, click on Settings, click on the button under “When a new tab is opened, open:”, select A blank page and hit OK to complete the operation.
4. Click on Tools( For Windows XP )/gear icon （ For Windows 7 ) at the upper-right corner of the Window, and the click on Manage add-ons. Then come to Toolbars and Extensions tab. Right click on extensions related to DivX Browser Bar Toolbar and then click on Disable.
If your are Firefox users:
If you are Google Chrome users:
When Startup pages pops up, remove http://search.conduit.com by clicking X behind it.
2. Next, switch to the Appearance tab, click Show Home button and click Change, and then change http://search.conduit.com into http://www.Google.com/ or any one you prefer.
3. When the operation above is finished, come to Search tab, make sure that the content of the first bar is Google and then click Manage Search engines.
Then remove malicious search engines by clicking X behind them and click Make default behind Google to set it as your default engine.
4. Go to wrench or 3 bar icon (next to the address bar), click on Tools and then click on Extensions. Locate extensions related to DivX Browser Bar and then remove them by clicking the trashcan icon next to it.
Step 3: Remove residual junk files, invalid registry entries form your computer
There may exist some residual junk files and invalid registry entries in your computer system after uninstalling DivX Browser Bar Toolbar, other related potentially unwanted programs and resetting your browser settings. Thus, Cloud System Booster is required to clean up them and save your disk space so as to increase running speed of your computer.
1. After you install the program, please open it, click on the BOOST button on the main screen to run a quick and full scan.
2. Once the scan completes, there will come out a result screen, please click Clean button to remove these junk files, malicious registry entries, etc to make sure the computer system is clean.
Step 4: Block spam ads, malicious websites including phishing websites automatically via Anvi Ad Blocker
To avoid being infected by adware and annoyed by popups, you are recommended to install internet ads blocker—Anvi Ad Blocker to give you a real-time protection. It protects Windows system from malicious URLs, phishing websites, pop-up/flash ads as well as your unwanted websites by blocking them all. Moreover, it also speed up your webpage loading meanwhile it blocks all risky or potentially risky things from the Internet. Install Anvi Ad Blocker to protect the browsers from various pop-up ads, malicious websites. Download and install free or pro version of Anvi Ad Blocker. Then open it and it will keep running to help you to protect your computer from various online risks and annoyance ranging from spam ads, pop up ads, flash ads to phishing, hacked websites and many other malicious websites.
Download link: http://www.dotfab.com/download_adb.html
Purchase link: http://www.anvisoft.com/product/adbupgrade.php
After installing the spam ads and malicious URLs blocker, please click on the ON button to keep it running, so it will give you a real-time protect to help you out of the annoying of popup ads and attack of various malicious URLs.
When appearing malicious or unwanted URL, Anvi Ad Blocker will popup this window to Remind you. If you are agree to block it, please click OK; if not, please select Add to the White list to let the URL never be blocked again.
Besides, you can add malicious URLs to Black Lists to block them run and add URLs that you think aren’t annoying to White Lists to allow them to run.
Now, you have removed DivX Browser Bar Toolbar completely.
Though you remove DivX Browser Bar Toolbar and other potentially unwanted programs successfully, your disk drives may still carry a heavy load. Due to the infection of this browser hijacker or even other more malicious malware, there will be some of file system errors and junks and invalid fragments in your disk drives. it is necessary to install a repair and clean tool like Anvi Ultimate Defrag to help you fix bug and errors of files in your disk drives, clean up junk files, rearrange fragmented data in the disk as well as optimize the performance of your disk drives.
Free download: http://www.dotfab.com/downloads_aud.html
Purchase ： http://www.dotfab.com/audupgrade.php
After install it, please select the disk drive you want to repair and clean and operation you would like to run ( Repair, Clean, Defrag and Optimize ), then click on Start.
For any question, please feel free to send us your email below.