The homepage of your internet browser has been changed to Golsearch.com without your permission? You are constantly redirected to Yahoo when search the internet? If this is the case, your computer is infected by a Golsearch.com redirect virus. Read on and follow the removal guide to get rid of it.
What Is Gol Search?
Similar to Search-Gol, Gol Search (Golsearch.com) is a browser hijacker that is compatible with most of popular web browsers including Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. Once it found its way onto your computer, Gol Search will add plugin and extensions to your web browser, and change the homepage and default search engine to Golsearch.com without your consent and knowledge.
Gol Search is an ad-supported search engine which looks like a legitimate search engine, but displays irrelative advertisements and sponsored links in your search to boost advertising revenue and to increase a site’s page ranking in the search results. Gol Search may collect search terms from your search queries in order to feed you more precise advertisements.
Gol Search is often promoted via other free downloads, that’s probably why you are unaware of how and when it got into your computer and why people regard it as a computer virus. Actually, it is classified by the industry as a PUP (potentially unwanted program).
How to Remove Golsearch.com Redirect from IE/Firefox/Chrome? (Removal Guide)
To remove Gol Search from your computer and internet browser (Internet Explorer, Chrome and Firefox) completely, please follow the guide below. If you have any questions, please leave a reply below and we will try our best to help you to resolve your problem.
Step 1 Uninstall Gol Search related malicious program
As mentioned above, Golsearch.com redirect infects computers by being bundled in the installer of other free software, so you need to search for and uninstall any unknown and unwanted applications that are related to Gol Search or installed around the time Golsearch.com redirect first occurred.
Option 1 > Uninstall automatically with Anvi Uninstaller
Anvi Uninstaller is tool integrated in Cloud System Booster which is a system optimizer and cleaner. After uninstall a program, Anvi Uninstaller will detect leftovers, such as registry keys and junk files.
1. Download and install Cloud System Booster
Cloud System Booster free download link: http://www.dotfab.com/download_csb.html
2.To uninstall Gol Search related programs: Launch Cloud System Booster → switch to Expert mode → select Toolbox → download and Run Anvi Uninstaller → locate any suspicious program → hit Uninstall to remove it
Please kindly note that downloading Anvi Uninstaller won’t take you much time.
Please note that the Prefect Scan function is only available for Cloud System Booster Pro version users. You can use this function by getting a trail license or upgrade to pro version.
Cloud System Booster purchase link: http://www.dotfab.com/csbupgrade.php
3. To clean residual files: Switch to Home tab → click Boost button → click Clean button after scan finished
Option 2 > Uninstall manually through Control Panel
For Windows 8 Users:
Move the mouse pointer to the right side corner → select Search → search for “control panel” to get Control Panel→ click on Uninstall a Program → locate any Gol Search related suspicous programs → click on Uninstall button
For Windows 7/Vista Users:
Click on Start button → Select Control Panel → Click on Uninstall a Program / Programs and Features → locate Gol Search related any suspicous programs → Click on Uninstall button
For Windows XP Users:
Click on Start button → Select Control Panel → Click on Add/Remove Programs → locate any Gol Search related suspicous programs → Click on Remove button
Please note that although Gol Search related malicious program is uninstalled, there are still many residual files – like invalid registry entries still on your computer. These junk files occupy disk space of your computer and may degrade your computer performance over time. It is complicated to delete them manually, so you may need the help of a system cleaner or system optimizer. We recommend you Cloud System Booster.
Step 2 Remove Golsearch.com redirect from IE/FF/Chrome
Although Gol Search related programs are uninstalled, the settings of your web browser won’t revert accordingly. That means you need to restore the settings by yourselves.
For Internet Explorer Users:
1. To change homepage: click on the gear icon or Tools at the top right corner → select Internet options → hit General tab in the menu → replace http://www.golsearch.com/ with a preferred domain like http://www.google.com/ or choose Use default
2. To remove extension: click on the gear icon or Tools → select Manage Add-ons → go to Toolbars and Extensions tab → right click on any suspicious extensions → choose Disable in the drop-down menu → close the window and click on OK button
3. To reset search provider: Switch to Search Providers tab → right click a desired search provider → select Set as default → right click Golsearch.com or any unwanted search provider → select Remove → click Apply and OK to complete the setting
That’s all for the removal of Gol Search virus, if you have only Internet Explorer infected on your computer. You may proceed to the Malware Prevetion Tips part for more information.
For Mozilla Firefox Users:
Switch to Plugins tab → Disable suspicious plugins
3. To reset default search engine: Click on the inverted triangle in the search bar → choose Manage Search Engines → locate Golsearch.com or any suspicious search engines → hit Remove and OK → click the inverted triangle again → select a preferred search provider as default search engine from the menu
That’s all for the removal of Gol Search virus, if you have only Internet Explorer and/or Firefox on your computer. You may proceed to the Malware Prevetion Tips part for more information.
For Google Chrome Users:
Click on Customize icon (Wrench or 3 bar icon) →select Settings
1. To reset startup page: hit Set pages → remove http://www.golsearch.com/ by clicking the X at the end of the bar
2. To change homepage: hit Change →change homepage to google.com or any other webs you desire
3. To reset default search engine: click on Manage search engine → set a desired search engine as your default search engine → remove golsearch.com or any unwanted search engine from the list
4. To remove extension: click Extensions above Settings → search for suspicious extensions → click the Recycling Bin to remove it
Now, Golsearch.com redirect virus should have been removed completely from your computer. If you have encountered any problem in removing this virus, please feel free to contact us.
Malware Prevention Tips
As mentioned above, Golsearch.com redirect virus sneaks into your computer by being bundled in the installer of other free software, so you should be attentive when install such programs and always opt for custom/advanced installation.
If you always encounter the problems such as pop-up ads and redirecting, you can make use of Anvi Ad Blocker to further guard your online activities and create a clean online environment. It can block pop up ads and prevent you from landing on malicious websites.
Anvi Ad Blocker free download link: http://www.dotfab.com/download_adb.html (expires in 15 days)
Anvi Ad Blocker purchase link: http://www.dotfab.com/adbupgrade.php
Redirect virus like Golsearch.com will lead you to malicious websites and your computer may be exposed to other horrible computer infections, so we strongly recommend you to scan your computer with an antivirus or antimalware program to make sure that your computer is safe and clean. Anvi Smart Defender is such a program that you can make use of.
Anvi Smart Defender free version download link: http://www.dotfab.com/download_asd.html