This page contains step by step instructions on how to remove Shareaza Toolbar and Ask.com Redirect. Read more.
Table of content:
What is Shareaza Virus
Shareaza virus is technically not virus but a potentially unwanted program that will install toolbars and useless programs on your PC as well as modify your browser settings without your content.
Bad Influences of Shareaza Virus
ö Install toolbars and PUPs on your PC
Once going to your computer, Shareaza virus will install toolbar including Music Toolbar for Chrome/Internet Explorer, and PUPs containing Shareaza and Torch on your computer that you’re not even aware of. Besides, it also adds the following shortcuts on your desktop.
ö Modify browser settings
Another obvious influence caused by Shareaza virus is that it sets and keeps Ask.com as your homepage and new tab page as well as default search engine sneakily. So when you open your browser like IE, what you see is the same as the image below:
ö Add Extensions to your browsers
What’s more, Shareaza virus will hijack your browsers by adding extensions such as Music Toolbar, and Torch Share to them.
Screenshots of Music Toolbar and Torch Share extension
Therefore, it is necessary to remove this unwanted and annoying virus immediately.
How to Remove Shareaza Virus and Ask.com Redirect
- Step 1> Remove/uninstall Shareaza and potentially unwanted programs(PUP) from control panel
- Step 2> Remove Ask.com redirect from IE/ Firefox/Google Chrome
- Step 3> Remove residual junk files and invalid registry entries from your PC using Cloud System Booster
Step 1> Remove/uninstall malicious program, toolbar and potentially unwanted programs(PUP) from control panel
Note: Shareaza virus infects your PC alongside different free software, shareware or video, etc.you download from the internet, so you are suggested to uninstall all unknown and dubious programs. By the way, you’d better consider the recent installed program tracing back to time of the Ask.com hijacking appearing.
For Windows XP: Click “Start“>”Control Panel“>”Add or Remove Programs“>”Programs and Features“>Look for Music Toolbar for Chrome/Internet Explorer, Shareaza and Torch, select them and click Remove one by one.
For Windows 7/Vista: Click “Start” (“Windows Logo”)>”Control Panel“>”Uninstall a program“(under Program)>look for Music Toolbar for Chrome/Internet Explorer, Shareaza and Torch, select them and click Uninstall/Change one by one.
For Windows 8: Right-click on the screen’s bottom-left corner> “Control Panel” >”Uninstall a program“(under Program)> Look for Music Toolbar for Chrome/Internet Explorer, Shareaza and Torch, select them and click Uninstall/Change one by one.
Although Shareaza virus can be removed from control panel, there are still leftover items of this virus remaining your PC system without your Knowledge. Anvi Uninstaller bundled with Cloud System Booster （System Maintenance& Optimizer) is recommended to help you remove this toolbar thoroughly and easily.
1. Please install Cloud System Booster first.
Free download link: http://dotfab.com/download_csb.html
Purchase link: http://www.dotfab.com/csbupgrade.php
2. After installing, open it and click Expert, and then click Toolbox to download Anvi Uninstaller within several senconds.
3. Then, click run to scan all programs on your PC.
4. Select Shareaza or other virus like below, right click on it, then click Uninstall. Repeat the operation to remove other unwanted programs.
5. Anvi Uninstaller customizes three removal steps for users during the process of removing Shareaza virus. Picture is displayed below, you can skip first step to go on the following operations.
Please note: Perfect Scan is only available in Pro version.
6. After removing Shareaza virus, Anvi Uninstaller will detect all leftover items of this infection to offer you a perfect removal. Please click Delete to remove them and then click Close to close the window.
Step 2> Remove Ask.com redirect from IE/ Firefox/Google Chrome
1. Go to Tools> Internet Options> General, change the malicious domain Ask.com to the one you prefer, like www.msn.com/ and hit Apply and then click on OK.
3. Go to Tools> Internet Options> General, find the Tabs area, click on Settings, click on the button under “When a new tab is opened, open:”, select A blank page and hit OK to complete the operation.
When Startup pages pops up, remove Ask.com website by clicking X behind it.
2. Next, switch to the Appearance tab, click Show Home button and click Change, and then change Ask.com website into http://www.Google.com/ or any one you prefer.
Then remove malicious search engines by clicking X behind them and click Make default behind Google to set it as your default engine and then click Done to finish the operation.
Causing malicious toolbar and extensions have already been moved alongside the removing of Shareaza virus, so you needn’t to remove them on browsers.
Step 3> Remove residual junk files, invalid registry entries form your computer
There may exist some residual junk files and invalid registry entries in your computer system after uninstalling Shareaza virus and Ask.com redirect. Thus, Cloud System Booster is required to clean up them and save your disk space so as to increase running speed of your computer.
1. After you install the program, please open it, click on the BOOST button on the main screen to run a quick and full scan.
2. Once the scan completes, there will come out a result screen, please click Clean button to remove these junk files, malicious registry entries, etc to make sure the computer system is clean.
How Dose Shareaza Virus Infect Your PC and How to Prevent
—-The way you infected
Shareaza mainly infiltrates users’ computer through two ways. One is misleading you to download it from its websites by claiming it is an file sharing application to make you believe you will benefit from it. Another way is that it installs on your PC bundled with free software, shareware, and other materials (video recording/streaming, download-managers or PDF creators) without your knowledge. After Shareaza virus goes to your PC, it will add a shortcut on your desktop. And then it will pop up the window below to demand your Email and password to start downloading music.
—-How to prevent
Considering that you may be prompted to download different kind of free software stating it is useful for you from the internet, especially these websites: download.com, softonic.com, soft32.com, and Brothersoft, you’d better be cautious and attentive when download free software.
Always Remember that installing free software from unknown websits may be equal to installing some browser hijackers, toolbars or other type of malware. Mostly, you don’t know that there is a malicious program installing on your PC and modifying some settings of your PC system and browsers as this installation runs when you keep the option—Recommended installation the free software gives you when install this free software. Therefore, please always remember to select Customized installation and refuse any unknown programs’ installation.
Keep your antivirus software and your favorite search engine up to date. Scan and clean up your PC system timely.
Though you remove Shareaza virus and Ask.com redirect successfully, your disk drives may still carry a heavy load. Due to the infection of this browser hijacker or even other more malicious malware, there will be some of file system errors and junks and invalid fragments in your disk drives. it is necessary to install a repair and clean tool like Anvi Ultimate Defrag to help you fix bug and errors of files in your disk drives, clean up junk files, rearrange fragmented data in the disk as well as optimize the performance of your disk drives.
Free download: http://www.dotfab.com/downloads_aud.html
Purchase ： http://www.dotfab.com/audupgrade.php
After install it, please select the disk drive you want to repair and clean and operation you would like to run ( Repair, Clean, Defrag and Optimize ), then click on Start.
For any question, please feel free to send us your email below.