A toolbar with letter Snap.do shows up on your installed web browser, and keeps being redirect to search.snapdo.com? If that is the case, then you have got Snap.do redirect virus on your computer without your consent. Follow this post to get rid of this annoying computer infection.
What Is Snap.do?
Snap.do is a toolbar developed by ReSoft Ltd.. On its official website snapdo.com, Snap.do is promoted as a tool that gives you the optimal way to Share, Search, Work and Play. But in most instances, it gets on your computer without your consent and knowledge. In that sense, it is often defined as potentially unwanted program (PUP) and browser hijacker in the industry.
Once it installed, you will not only get Snap.do toolbar, also the settings of your installed web browser will be changed. You will notice that you are landing on search.snapdo.com whenever you launch your web browser or search on it, because Snap.do has change the homepage and new tab page to search.snapdo.com and the defaulted search engine to search.snap.do.
Search.snap.do is an ad supported search engine, so it will display advertisements and sponsored links in your search results. It may also collect the search items from your search queries to present you more precise ads.
How Does Snap.do Get on a Computer?
As mentioned above, it can be downloaded and installed willingly from its official website. But, in most cases, it enters your computer bundled with other freeware, such as download-manager, media player and PDF creator. From users, we know that SmileysWeLove, CamStudio may have bundled Snap.do in its installer.
Please be cautious when installing such freeware and always opt for custom/advanced installation that you can deselect unwanted applications and settings.
How to Remove Snap.do and Restore Browser Settings?
Step 1 Uninstall Snap.Do through Control Panel
Windows 7/Vista: Go to Star Menu → Select Control Panel → Click on Uninstall a Program / Programs and Features → Locate Snap.Do → Click on Uninstall button to remove them one by one
Windows XP: Go to Star Menu → Select Control Panel → Click on Add/Remove Programs → search for Snap.Do → Click on Remove button to remove them one by one
If you can’t find Snap.Do, then you may search for and uninstall the applications developed by ReSoft Ltd..
When the uninstalling begins, a series of confirmation information will be displayed. Do as they prompt and click on YES.
After completely removing Snap.do from your computer, if necessary, search for the executable application installer (self- extractor) file Smartbar.Installer.Mini and delete this file. This file is commonly found in the “Downloads” folder.
Snap.Do should have now be removed from your computer completely. But you are suggested to follow the rest steps to make sure your browser settings are reverted to the old settings.
If you cannot find any unwanted or unknown programs on Control Panel, you may just proceed with the rest steps.
Step 2 Check and repair the residual damages to your browser
In most cases, after uninstalling this application, the extension added would have been removed. In order to have your web browser work correctly again, you should go through the steps below to check and restore your browser settings.
For Internet Explorer Users:
1. To change homepage: click on the gear icon or Tools at the top right corner → select Internet options → hit General tab in the menu → replace http://feed.snapdo.com/?publisher=SnapdoWebsite&dpid=SnapdoWebsite&co=US&userid=c64029d0-e032-4431-bd04-bdac0228ea5a&searchtype=hp&installDate=01/01/1970 with a preferred domain like http://www.google.com/ or choose Use default
2. To remove extension: click on the gear icon or Tools → select Manage Add-ons → go to Toolbars and Extensions tab → click on ReSoft LTD. → right click on Snap.Do → choose Disable All in the drop-down menu → close the window and click on OK button
3. To reset search provider: Switch to Search Providers tab → right click a desired search provider → select Set as default → right click Web Search → select Remove → click Apply and OK to complete the setting
Alternative Solution: Reset IE to its default state
If you think the setting process is complicated or you can’t find the items mentioned above, you can follow this solution to reset IE to its default state.
1. Open Internet Explorer, click Tools at the top right corner, and then select Internet options.
2. Switch to Advanced tab in the window and click on the Reset button.
3. Check Delete personal settings and click Reset button in the new window.
4. After the reset finished, click Close button. Then restart Internet Explorer.
For Mozilla Firefox Users:
3. To reset default search engine: Click on the inverted triangle in the search bar → choose Manage Search Engines → locate Web Search → hit Remove and OK → click the inverted triangle again → select a preferred search provider as default search engine from the menu
Alternative Solution: Reset Firefox to its default state
This solution is easy to follow, but you will lose your customized settings.
1. Click on orange Firefox button on the upper left corner of the browser, and then move the mouse pointer to Help in the dropped-down menu and select Troubleshooting information in the sub-menu.
2. Click the Reset Firefox button in the Troubleshooting Information page and in the confirmation window that opens.
3. Firefox will close and be reset. When it’s done, a window will list the information that was imported.
For Google Chrome Users:
Click on Customize icon (Wrench or 3 bar icon) →select Settings
1. To reset startup page: hit Set pages → remove http://feed.snapdo.com/?publisher=SnapdoWebsite&dpid=SnapdoWebsite&co=US&userid=c64029d0-e032-4431-bd04-bdac0228ea5a&searchtype=hp&installDate=01/01/1970 by clicking the X at the end of the bar
2. To change homepage: hit Change →change homepage to google.com or any other webs you desire
3. To reset default search engine: click on Manage search engine → set Google as your default search engine → remove Web from the list
4. To remove extension: click Extensions above Settings → locate Snap.Do → click the Recycling Bin to remove it
Step 3 Repair you installed browser with Anvi Slim Toolbar
Also, you can download and install a tool to assist you to complete the repair of your browser. Anvi Slim Toolbar is such an application.
1. Download and install Anvi Slim Toolbar by clicking the link below.
Anvi Slim Toolbar download link: http://www.anvisoft.com/software/ast/
2. Delete unwanted and suspicious extension and add-ons:
Launch Anvi Slim Toolbar → Switch to Manage tab → Chech or tick unwanted and suspicious extension and add-ons → hit Remove button
3. Empty trash bin:
The removed toolbars and extensions are placed in the trash bin in case you want them back, so you need to empty the trash bin regularly.
Click on the trash bin icon, then you can restore or remove toolbars and extensions there.
4. Modify browser settings:
Go to Browser Repair tab → chose the browser you are going to repair → set the homepage to your preferred website → select a desired search engine → click on the Repair button
Step 4 Clean the useless registry entries and residual files
After remove Snap.Do, some registry keys and junk files are still on your computer. This residual files may slow down the performance of your computer over time, so you should clean up your computer after uninstall application. Try Cloud System Booster.
1. Download and install the free or paid version of Cloud System Booster.
Cloud System Booster free download link: http://www.dotfab.com/download_csb.html
Cloud System Booster Purchase link: http://www.dotfab.com/csbupgrade.php
2. Launch Cloud System Booster and click on the Boost button.
3. Click on Clean button after scan finished.
Now, Snap.Do should have been removed completely from your computer. If you have encounter any problem in removing this virus, please feel free to contact us.
Recommended—Turn on the security settings of your installed web browser
If you always encounter the problems such as pop-up ads and redirecting, you may need to check if the available security settings of your web browser are on.
Internet Explorer: turn on the Pop-up blocker in IE
Mozilla Firefox: click on the orange Firefox button → select Options → go to Security tab → check all the items above Passwords
Google Chrome: click on Settings → hit Show advanced settings at the bottom of the page → check all the useful items, especially Enable phishing and malware protection
And you can make use of Anvi Ad Blocker to create a clean online environment. It can block pop up ads and prevent you to land on malicious websites.
Anvi Ad Blocker free download link: http://www.dotfab.com/download_adb.html
Anvi Ad Blocker purchase link: http://www.dotfab.com/adbupgrade.php