The browser’s homepage and search engine that you are familiar with have been changed into http://search.conduit.com/ and WhiteSmoke New Customized Web Search respectively? This phenomenon is posed by WhiteSmoke Toolbar. Read this article to get a step by step removal guide to get rid of this infection.
About WhiteSmoke Toolbar
WhiteSmoke Toolbar, or WhiteSmoke redirect virus, is classified as browser hijacker that infects your PC without your consent. Often, the reason why your PC is infected by this virus is that it is bundled with free software you download from websites to install on you PC sneakily. Once being intruded, browsers like Google Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer will be hijacked. Homepage will be redirected to http://search.conduit.com and search engine will become WhiteSmoke New Customized Web Search. These symptoms are what you can see at a glance when open your browser, however, WhiteSomek redirect virus will also add extensions to your browsers.
Actually, WhiteSmoke Toolbar is from an app named WhiteSmoke Writing Software which states to perfect your English writing with the most advanced Spelling, Grammar Checker, Punctuation, Style and Structure. Its lasted toolbar is WhiteSmoke new toolbar. This infection will display you various ads in the search results after you type a term in the search bar.
And when click on one of these ads, you will be misled to a unknown websites that is also associated with ads, like the ads of Walmart. At this moment, you have already become the target of internet sales.
Furthermore, this virus will collect your browsing habits and the terms you queries so as to offer more related ads to you when you queries something similar again. Still, your personal information and important data will be in a high risk of being stolen and used by the virus.
1: Be attentive when download free software from websites, such as download.com, softonic.com, CNET, Brothersoft, software.informer.
2: Always select Custom Installation instead of Recommended Installation and refuse any plugin during the process of installing such free software.
3: keep your antivirus software and other security protect applications up to data.
How to Remove WhiteSmoke Toolbar
Step 1: Uninstall WhiteSmoke Toolbar and other unknown applications installed recently from control panel
Step 2: Repair browsers damages ( IE/Firefox/Google Chrome )
Option 1: Repair browser damages ( IE/Firefox/Google Chrome ) via Anvi Slim ToolBar Option 2: Repair browser damages ( IE/Firefox/Google Chrome ) maunally
Step 3: Remove residual junk files and invalid registry entries from your PC using Cloud System Booster
Step 1: Remove WhiteSmoke Toolbar from your computer through Control Panel
Please note, WhiteSmoke Toolbar is installed on your PC alongside different free software you download from the internet. So you are suggested to uninstall this free software like IPumper Installer. By the way, you’d better consider the recent installed program tracing back to time of WhiteSmoke Toolbar installing.
For Windows XP:
For Windows 7/Vista:
Click “Start” (“Windows Logo”)>”Control Panel“>”Uninstall a program“(under Program)>look for WhiteSmoke New Toolbar and other unknown programs, select them and click Uninstall/Change.
For Windows 8:
Right-click on the screen’s bottom-left corner> “Control Panel” >”Uninstall a program“(under Program)> Look for WhiteSmoke New Toolbar and other unknown programs, select them and click Uninstall/Change.
Note: When you uninstall WhiteSmoke New Toolbar from the control panel, it will remind you that if you also want to remove it from browsers. if you select it, only the Internet Explorer has been repaired while Firefox and Google are still remain being hijacked. besides, you also need come to IE to remove WhiteSmoke search engine from the browser.
Step 2: Repair browsers damages.(IE/FF/Google Chrome)
Option 1: Repair browser damages ( IE/Firefox/Google Chrome ) via Anvi Slim ToolBar
1: Download and install Anvi Slim ToolBar.
Download link: http://www.dotfab.com/downloads_ast.html
Purchase link: http://www.dotfab.com/astupgrade.php
2. Remove toolbars from browsers
After installing Anvi Slim ToolBar, please open it(if you use trial version, click at the right bottom of box; if you use pro version, input your license key in the blank box), and click on Manage to detect toolbars in your browsers. When the result is displayed, select WhiteSmoke new extension and others you what to remove, and then click Remove button to remove them.
3. Repair hijacked homepage and modified search engine.
In Anvi Slim ToolBar box, please click on Browser Repair. IE, FF and Google Chrome are listed in the left; you can select any of them to change its homepage and search engine. When you choose customize homepage or customize search engine, please input the one you prefer.
Then click on Repair button to repair hijacked homepage and modified search engine and click on OK.
Option 2: Repair browser damages ( IE/Firefox/Google Chrome ) maunally
For Internet Explorer
1. Go to Tools> Internet Options> General, change the malicious domain http://search.conduit .com/ to the one you prefer, like http://www.google.com and hit Apply and then click on OK.
2. Go to Tools> Manage Add-ons> Search Providers, right click on Bing or others and select Set as default, and then right click on WhiteSmoke New Customized…, click on Remove.
3. Go to Tools> Internet Options> General, find the Tabs area, click on Settings, click on the button under “When a new tab is opened, open:”, select A blank page and hit OK to complete the operation.
4. Click on Tools( For Windows XP )/gear icon （ For Windows 7 ) at the upper-right corner of the Window, and the click on Manage add-ons. Then come to Toolbars and Extensions tab. Right click on WhiteSmoke new toolbar and other unknown extensions and then click on Disable.
2. Click the down arrow next to the search engine icon and select Manage Search Engines…, select malicious search engine and other unknown search engines and click Remove. ( a similar picture is shown below)
For Google Chrome
1. Go to wrench or three bar icon , click on Settings, and then come to On startup tab, select Open the new tab pages and click Set pages. When Startup pages pops up, remove the malicious website by clicking X behind it. (sometimes, there is no malicious websites in the box, you need to click on Use current pages at the bottom of the box )
Next, switch to the Appearance tab, click Show Home button and click Change, and then change malicious domain into http:www.Google.com or any one you prefer.
2. When the operation above is finished, come to Search tab, first change Conduit into Google or others, and then click Manage Search engines. Then remove malicious search engines by clicking X behind them, and click on Done.
3. Go to wrench or 3 bar icon (next to the address bar), click on Tools and then click on Extensions. Locate WhiteSmoke extensions and other unknown extensions and then remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to it.
Step 3: Remove residual junk files, invalid registry entries form your computer
There may exist some residual junk files and invalid registry entries in your computer system after uninstalling WhiteSmoke Toolbar, other related potentially unwanted programs and resetting your browser settings. Thus, Cloud System Booster is required to clean up them and save your disk space so as to increase running speed of your computer.
1. After you install the program, please open it, click on the BOOST button on the main screen to run a quick and full scan.
2. Once the scan completes, there will come out a result screen, please click Clean button to remove these junk files, malicious registry entries, etc to make sure the computer system is clean.
Now, you have removed WhiteSmoke Toolbar completely.
Though you remove WhiteSmoke Toolbar and other potentially unwanted programs successfully, your disk drives may still carry a heavy load. Due to the infection of this browser hijacker or even other more malicious malware, there will be some of file system errors and junks and invalid fragments in your disk drives. it is necessary to install a repair and clean tool like Anvi Ultimate Defrag to help you fix bug and errors of files in your disk drives, clean up junk files, rearrange fragmented data in the disk as well as optimize the performance of your disk drives.
Free download: http://www.dotfab.com/downloads_aud.html
Purchase ： http://www.dotfab.com/audupgrade.php
After install it, please select the disk drive you want to repair and clean and operation you would like to run ( Repair, Clean, Defrag and Optimize ), then click on Start.
For any question, please feel free to send us your email below.