A lock screen takes over your desktop and some Internet Police Department claims that your computer is blocked because it is involved in some illegal activities online? If such is your case, then, you have encountered a computer virus, categorized as ransomware. Read on for more.
This article is mainly about:
- I. What is Internet Police Department virus?
- II. Symptoms of Internet Police Department virus infection
- III. Propagation of Internet Police Department virus
- IV. Prevent Tips
- V. How to Remove Internet Police Department Virus (Ransomware Removal Guide)
- VI. System Optimization(Recommended)
I. What is Internet Police Department virus?
Recently there arises another wave of ransomware infections rampant in the cyber space and this Internet Police Department virus is just one among them. The Internet Police Department virus is a computer blocked virus, categorized as ransomware, which exploits the name of authorities like Internet Police Department, ACMA, ACC, etc to scam on users. Once infiltrate, this ransomware will display a lock screen alert that claims “your computer has been blocked up for safety reasons”. However, this is just a bogus notification that pretends to be from the authorities. For years, such kind of online pc threats have been rampant and difficult to handle with. It can cause destructive damages and many victim users have been tricked to pay their money to cyber criminals with computer locked still. So everyone should be aware of such a nasty ransomware scam that may utilize different excuses, names of authorities and payments to swindle money from you.
II. Symptoms of Internet Police Department virus infection
Once infected, this Internet Police Department virus will totally lock up your computer system, freeze your desktop and then instead display a bogus notification as shown in below lock screen.
Below is a screenshot of the lock screen of this AFP Ukash ransomware infection. Be careful.
The lock screen delivers such a message shown as below:
Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA)
AFP. Crime Commission (ACC)
Royal Australian Corps of Military Police
Your computer has been blocked for safety reasons listed below.
You are accused of viewing/storage and/or dissemination of banned pornography (child pornography/zoophilia/rape etc). You have violated World Declaration on non-proliferation of child pornography. You are accused of committing the crime envisaged by Article 161 of Commonwealth of Australia criminal law.
Article 161 of Commonwealth of Australia criminal law provides for the punishment of deprivation of liberty for terms from 5 to 11 years.
Also, you are suspected of violation of “Copyright and Related rights Law” (downloading of pirated music, video, warez) and of use use and/or dissemination of copyrighted content. Thus, you are suspected of violation of Article 148 of Commonwealth of Australia Criminal Law.
Article 148 of Commonwealth of Australia criminal law provides for the punishment of deprivation of liberty for terms from 3 to 7 years or 150 to 550 basic amounts fine.
It was from your computer, that unauthorized access had been stolen to information of State importance and to data closed for public Internet access.
<more fake legal threats>
The penalty set must be paid in course of 48 hours as of the breach. On expiration of the term, 48 hours that follow will be used for automatic collection of data on yourself and your misconduct, and criminal case will be opened against you.
Amount of fine is AUD $100. You can pay a fine Ukash vouchers.
As soon as the money arrives to the Treasury account, your computer will be unblocked in course of 24 hours.
Then in 7 day term you should remedy the breaches associated with your computer. Otherwise your computer will be blocked up again and criminal case will be opened against yourself (with no option to pay fine).
Be sober and never be tricked by such a fake alert from those law agencies. No legal agency will function like this. If you are confronting such a lock screen right now, please try below removal instructions to troubleshoot. Please note, since such ransomware infections are very dangerous and hard to handle that even the Microsoft call it a boot-sector-virus that the infected system may need to reinstall. So below ransomware removal tutorials are just for attempts but we are always working hard to provide you with useful information and virus removal solutions and for assured we will continue to improve our software and services all the way up. Thanks for your time and support. If any question, feel free to send your question below.
- >Once infected, computer system is locked up and a lock screen bearing a scary notification supposed from ACMA, ACC, Internet Police Department and the like comes up to require a non-existing fine of AUD $ 100 or other sum. This happens every time you restart the computer.
- > If you realize that this is a virus and you want to restart your computer to safe mode for troubleshooting, then there are two scenarios you may confront:
- Scenario 1: You can restart your computer to safe mode and try to perform a system restore but just find that all restore points are deleted.
- Scenario 2: You are also blocked out from safe mode running and this seems nothing to work.
Whatever it happens, to handle such a nasty yet destructive ransomware infection, you can just try below ransomware removal guide.
III. Propagation of Internet Police Department virus
Such ransomware can be distributed through malicious websites, compromised websites. This ransomware can infect your machine via exploit kits that use system vulnerabilities on your computer to install this virus without your consent or knowledge.
Also this type of malware can be also distributed through spam email which contains infected attachments or links to malicious websites. Often this scenario is that cyber crooks spam out an email, with forged header information tricking you into believing that it is from a shipping company such as DHL or FedEX. The email says that they tried to deliver a package to you however failed for some reason. Also the emails can claim to be notifications of a shipment you have made. Either way of such will be irresistible for you to catch your curiosity to open it and click the link embedded, and as a result you would get infected.
Most ransomware including this Internet Police Department virus can also be downloaded by tricking you into thinking that you are installing a useful piece of software like a bogus update for Adobe Flash Player or another piece of software.
Apart from that, the Internet Police Department virus is also distributed on peer-to-peer file sharing websites and often come bundled with pirated or illegally acquired software.
IV. Prevent Tips
To prevent being infected by the Internet Police Department ransomware virus, you need to be careful in five aspects below, according to its main propagation means mentioned above.
1. The best way to prevent such nasty, destructive ransomware infections like the Internet Department ransomware infection is still appropriate security programs including antivirus, antimalware and firewall.
It is savvy to have a trusted antivirus plus an antimalware like Anvi Smart Defender which integrates real-time web guard solutions, and then a trustworthy firewall.
- Recommended antimalware download: (Anvi Smart Defender) www.dotfab.com/download_asd.html
- Purchase linke of Antimalware Anvi Smart Defender: http://www.dotfab.com/asdupgrade.php
for extended measures like web guard, behavior guard, etc, to enhance your computer protection online
2. Be very careful when surfing online. Basically it is highly recommended to turn on security features of web browsers. See detailed instructions to turn on security features of IE, Firefox and Google Chrome.
3. Be very careful when asked to download software from the Internet. If the need arises, please click its official or trusted link to download.
4. Be aware that malicious websites and ads are often used to distrusted malware infections. Then here introduces you an ad blocker tool –Anvi Ad Blocker, however which is only available with a free trial version for 15 days. If you want to keep it after that, you need to pay $9.98.
- Anvi Ad Blocker download link: www.dotfab.com/download_adb.html
- Anvi AD blocker purchase link: www.dotfab.com/adbupgrade.php
5. See to keep your system and installed software, adobe flash in particular, updated to latest patches so as to avoid as less vulnerabilities as possible.
Wide Spread Ransomware Infections:
FBI Moneypak virus, Department of Justice Moneypak virus, FBI CyberCrime Division virus, Your Computer Has Been Blocked virus, Relodit virus, ICE Cyber Crime Center Moneypak virus, United States Courts virus, FBI “System Failure” virus, International Cyber Security Protection Alliance virus, Spamhaus Moneypak virus, Joint Chiefs of Staff Moneypak virus, Moneygram virus, Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Section CCIPS virus, U.S. Department of Homeland Security Moneypak virus, FBI Cybercrime Division ICSPA virus, AFP Ukash virus, AMCA, ACC ransomware, etc.
Most ransomware exploits Java or flash vulnerabilities to load the malicious code. In some cases denying or disabling flash on your system may suspend the U.S. Department of Homeland Security Moneypak virus and enable the user to navigate through the infected system. If this not a necessity for removal, skip to the removal options below these steps. If any questions in the process, just feel free to contact us for timely help via email below.
To disable (deny) flash
3. Proceed to a removal option (detailed below).
V. How to Remove Internet Police Department Virus (Ransomware Removal Guide)
This tutorial suits the removal of Ukash, PaysafeCard, MoneyPak and CashU ransomware.
Generally there are two situations when your computer got infected with this ransomware. One is that you can still boot your computer to safe mode and the another one is not. According to this, there are two removal options for each situation for you to choose.
- Option 1- Safe Mode with Command Prompt Restore
- If your computer can still be booted into safe mode, and the system restore points are not deleted by the infection, you can choose this option for the ransomware removal.
- Option 2-Remove the Ransomware Using Anvi Rescue Disk
- This method is the final solution for deep infection that you computer system is totally blocked from even the safe mode running or all system restore points are deleted by the infection.
Removal Option 1-Safe Mode with Command Prompt Restore
Step 1> Launch your PC into Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
During the start, keep pressing F8 key till the Advanced Windows Options Menu shows up and then use the arrow key on the keyboard to highlight the Safe Mode with Command Prompt option and then press Enter. See detailed instructions on how to boot Windows to Safe Mode
Note: make sure you login your computer with administrative privileges. (login as admin)
Step 2> Type explorer to access
Once the Command Prompt window appears you only have few seconds to type “explorer” and hit Enter. If you fail to do so within 2-3 seconds, the ransomware virus will not allow you to type anymore.
Step >3 Once Windows Explorer shows up browse to:
- Win XP: C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and press Enter
- Win Vista/7/8 : C:\windows\system32\rstrui.exe and press Enter
Step 4> Restore
Follow all steps to restore or recover your computer system to an earlier time and date (restore point), before infection.
Please note that chances are this virus may delete all of your stored restore points and then you may need to switch to option 2 to try the troubleshoot now.
Step 5> Scan malware and restart
Recommended step: To return a smooth running OS after virus removal and ensure any leftovers or invalid registry keys removed, you may need a system cleaner/optimizer like Cloud System Booster (download: www.dotfab.com/download_csb.html) to fully clean up your system files and optimize your system performance.
Removal Option 2-Remove the Ransomware using Anvi Rescue Disk
In most cases of computer infected by ransomware, your PC would be totally blocked from any operation, including safe mode runing. Then, you can use the Anvi Rescue Disk to fix the issue together with the antimalware Anvi Smart Defender. Some patience and time is needed for this removal emthod. If any question in the process, please feel free to send your email below to our online Technical Support for timely help.
Below is a video of ransomware removal using Anvi Rescue Disk for your reference.
Step 1> Download the Anvi Rescue Disk iso image file
Download the Anvi Rescue Disk iso image file Rescue.iso and the USB disk production tool BootUsb.exe from Anvisoft official site. (Both are packaged in the file offered to download below.)
Direct download link: http://www.anvisoft.com/software/rsd/
Please kindly note that Rescue.iso is a large file to download; please be patient while it downloads.
Step 2> Record the Anvi Rescue Disk iso image to USB drive.
You can also record the iso image to a CD/DVD. We will introduce the steps to record iso image to a CD/DVD in following guide.
To record the Anvi Rescue Disk iso image to USB drive:
1. Firstly find a clean computer with correct internet connection and then connect your USB driver to the clean computer. You’d better backup your important data and format your USB drive before using it to record the iso image.
2. Locate your download folder and double-click on BootUsb.exe to start it. And then click “Choose File” button to browser into your download folder and select Rescue.iso file as your source file.
3. Select the path of USB drive, such as Drive H:
4. Click “Start Burning” to start the burn of USB Rescue Disk boot drive.
5.Please close BootUsb.exe tool after you successfully burn the file to the USB drive when you get the following message.
Now, you have bootable Anvi Rescue Disk to repair your computer.
You can also record Anvi Rescue Disk iso image to a DV/DVD. Any CD/DVD record software is fine for burn iso image. If you don’t have any, you can download and install Nero Burning ROM and ImgBurn. Here we will use Nero Burning ROM for demonstration purpose.
Please open and start Nero Burning ROM and select Burn Image from the drop-down menu of the Recorder.
1. Locate your download folder and select Rescue.iso file as your source file and then click Open button.
2. Click Burn button to start record the iso image. After a few minutes, you will have a bootable Anvi Rescue Disk to repair your computer.
Step 3> Configure your infected computer to boot from the USB drive/DV/DVD
Restart your infected computer and configure it to boot from USB drive/DV/DVD that recorded Anvi Rescue Disk.
Basically , you can use F8 to load USB boot menu.
For different motherboard, you may need to use the Delete or F2, F11 keys, to load the BIOS menu. Normally, the information on how to enter the BIOS menu is displayed on the screen at the start of the OS boot.
The keys F1, F8, F10, F12 might be used for some motherboards, as well as the following key combinations:
- • Ctrl+Esc
- • Ctrl+Ins
- • Ctrl+Alt
- • Ctrl+Alt+Esc
- • Ctrl+Alt+Enter
- • Ctrl+Alt+Del
- • Ctrl+Alt+Ins
- • Ctrl+Alt+S
If you can enter Boot Menu directly then simply select your CD/DVD-ROM as your 1st boot device.
If you can’t enter Boot Menu directly then simply use Delete key to enter BIOS menu. Select Boot from the main BIOS menu and then select Boot Device Priority. After that, set USB drive or CD/DVD-ROM as your 1st Boot Device. Save changes and exist BIOS menu.
Step> 4 Boot your computer from Anvi Rescue Disk.
After that let’s boot your computer from Anvi Rescue Disk.
1. Restart your computer. After restart, a message will appear on the screen: press any key to enter the menu. So, press Enter or any other key to load the Anvi Rescue Disk
2. please selected your preferred language and press Enter to continue.
Step> 5 Run the Anvi Rescue Disk to scan and repair.
1. Now you are in the mini Operating system, please double-click Rescue tool to start Anvi Rescue disk.
Important note: make sure that your computer is connected to network connection before you run a scan on your computer. If you fail to connect your computer to Internet, please check the tutorial on network configuration in this article: Network Troubleshooting Tips for Ransomware Removal Using Anvi Rescue Disk
2. Please run a full scan by clicking the “Scan Computer” button in the middle of the program to detect and kill the PC lockup virus.
3. Clicking “Fix Now” to Remove the detected threats detected by Anvi Rescue Disk.
4. Switch to Repair tab. Scan and fix the registry error with the “Repair” module of Anvi Rescue Disk.
Important Notice: You must repair the registry error after kill the virus. Otherwise, you would be disabled to boot your Windows without fixing registry damaged by the virus.
Step>6 Download Anvi Smart Defender antimalware to ensure a clean computer.
After the repair, your computer should be clean and resuced from the evil claw of the ransomware infection. However, many professionally crafted ransomware variants have evolved to be very persistant, that is to say, harder to remove, so you are highly recommended to download the antimalware Anvi Smart Defender by clicking Yes button on the prompted window to fulfill the download.
After the download, please restart your computer to normal Windows mode and then go to the folder: C:\Users\[username]\Downloads
Find the downloaded file asdsetup.exe and double click its file to install it and then start it to perform a full scan on your computer sytem, in order to ensure the computer is clean from any associated infections or leftovers.
After the scan, remove any detected infections and then you can have a clean computer now.
VI. System Optimization (Highly Recommended)
To return a smooth running computer system after the virus removal, you are highly recommended to use a system optimizer like Cloud System Booster to fully boost your computer performance by throwing out junk files, fixing registry errors, optimizing system services and cleaning application files. You can directly download the Cloud System Booster with convenience here: www.dotfab.com/download_csb.html
Cloud System Booster purchase link: www.dotfab.com/upgrade_csb.php
You can either download the free version or upgrade it to paid version for basic system maintenance use and upgraded system optimizing efficiency.
For Deep Optimization, hard disk defragment may be a good idea and a tool like Anvi Ultimate Defrag is helpful. This disk defragment provides all-round solutions to defrag your hard disk for better performing computer system.
Anvi Ultimate Defrag (Trial version) download link: www.dotfab.com/download_aud.html
Anvi Ultimate Defrag purchase link: www.dotfab.com/upgrade_aud.php
Screenshot of Anvi Ultimate Defrag